Explore this Area
Program Facilitator – NOT HIRING AT THIS TIME
- Location: The Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center, Mason Prince William Campus, Manassas,VA
- To facilitate cognitive, social and physical challenge activities that are fun and appropriate to clients’ age and abilities
- To teach and guide clients in their personal and group growth, while striving to ensure their physical and emotional safety
- Assist in the management of the challenge course facilities and equipment
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Must be 18 years old or older
- A high school diploma or its equivalent; Preferred but not required: Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or documented experience and training in experiential education or environmental instruction
- Current certification in first aid and CPR/AED
- Provide own transportation to work site at The Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center, Manassas, VA
- Desire and ability to work with children
- Provide necessary instruction and group management for client groups with varied age and skill levels
- Ability to observe client behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the specific activity and outdoor activities.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist clients in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of clients
- Physical stamina to stand and walk for extended periods with some climbing (in an overhead environment of 12’- 50’), bending, stooping, and stretching. Strength necessary to lift up to 50 lbs and for the physical exertion of supporting another person’s body-weight
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate standard challenge equipment and activities
- Willingness to work with daily exposure to the sun, heat, rain and other varying environmental conditions
Major Job Functions
- Develop and deliver exciting experiential learning and team building programs to clients to meet clients’ desired goals and The EDGE program outcomes
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment on the challenge course and associated classrooms
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of clients in their large and small groups within activities and throughout the campus
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for clients and staff
- Serve as a role model to clients and staff in your attitude and behavior
Typical Day Overview
The day begins with a 30-minute preparation period before clients’ arrival. When the client arrives, The EDGE team delivers an introduction to the day and divides the large client group into smaller groups of 8 – 15 participants (the average size is 12 participants). Each program facilitator will work with one small group for their 4 or 6 hour program, guiding their team through different elements/initiatives according to the abilities and function of the group. Each team will usually have an assigned time to participate in one of two high elements. After the program is completed, program facilitators meet for a 30-minute end of day processing.
About The EDGE – The Mason Center for Team and Organizational Learning
Created in July of 2009 by the former operating team of Hemlock Overlook Center for Experiential Education, The EDGE – The Mason Center for Team and Organizational Learning is located on Mason’s Prince William Campus in Manassas, VA. Our 10-acre site features a brand new high and low challenge course, including a 50’ Alpine Tower with Giant Swing.
The Center is open seven days a week and serves clients throughout the year both at our center and off-site locations. A diverse population benefits from The EDGE programs, including public and private schools, religious groups, community groups, sports teams, colleges and universities, corporations, professional organizations, special needs groups, as well as local, state, and federal government and military agencies.
We employ 10 – 20 seasonal staff along with 4 full-time administrative/management staff.
Program Facilitators are employed on an hourly wage as-needed basis, with wages starting between $10.00 to $12.00 per hour.
- High quality training and qualification
- One class earned from George Mason University for every 500 hours worked
- Pro deal Program for outdoor related gear and equipment
- Workman’s Compensation
- All discounts and benefit opportunities entitled to a nonexempt wage employee of George Mason University
- Free Shuttle service to and from Mason Fairfax campus
- Free membership and staff benefits to Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center
Complete the online application and include a cover letter, resume, 3 references and a challenge course portfolio (if available). If you have problems accessing the job via the link above, go to jobs.gmu.edu, click on “search jobs,” and search for position WGA821.
Email the Program Manager, Dave Heath, with questions.
Request More Information
To receive more information about our challenge course programs, please complete the short form below.